Wednesday 17 October 2012

Tried and Tested Tip Number 18 [Fork Pom Poms]


Believe me when I say I wanted to love this fork pom pom tutorial floating round the internet. The traditional cardboard ring can be a bit of a faff, and this seemed a great alternative.

[source: Eskimimi Makes]

Having tried it? I'm just not that impressed. A cute little craft, yes. But they are not the best pom poms ever made, partly because it is so difficult to tie the middle string tight enough when the wool is wrapped around a fork!


If you do give it a try, I have 3 tips:
1. Wrap the wool around the fork as "on top of itself" as you can - a narrower area means you can tie the pom pom tighter.
2. If you wap the wool round a bit looser, you can fit your scissors in whilst it is still on the fork, making cutting easier.
3. Your pom pom will not come off the fork looking perfectly spherical. You will need to trim, trim, trim!

[Experiment with different wools - I have used chunky, double knitting, 4 ply, and a very fine wool here.]

There are lots of great uses for mini pom poms though, whatever method you use. I can just see these looking delightful on top of a present :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your very useful tips Helen...I'd seen this and thought of having a go...so will put your ideas into practice alongside it if I do!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I'd love to know how you get along, maybe it's just me who struggled with it!
      Helen x

      Delete

Thinking of leaving a comment? Please do, I love reading what people have to say :) I will always try and reply to your comment here, so do click "Subscribe by email" below the comment form to be notified!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...